Swimming Pool Blog
by Rob Cox, October 5, 2009
If you want to know how large is the U.S. swimming pool market is, simply count the pools! 2009 will go down as one of the worst years in recent history for pool sales and construction, but there are still a lot of pools in the U.S.! If you already have a pool in the ground (or on the ground), like over 8 million Americans ~ you need supplies and support to keep it operational. Although sales of durable goods in the pool industry this year were also down, some growth has been seen in supply and replacement items categories.
Per the International Aquatic Foundation, there are millions of pools in the United States, most of them residential in nature. The breakdown is listed below. Source: www.iafh2o.org/IAF_Statistics.asp 2004
- Number of Residential Inground Pools: 4,544,000
- Number of Residential Aboveground Pools: 3,535,000
- Number of Residential Hot Tubs: 5,170,000
- Number of Commercial Swimming Pools: 270,000
With a mind to safety, the information below is rather interesting. The percentage of pool alarm owners is alarmingly low (sorry), especially among above ground pool owners.
- Percent of Residential Inground Pools with Diving Boards: 35.5%
- Percent of Residential Inground Pools with Pool Alarms: 7.9%
- Percent of Residential Inground Pools with Safety Covers: 24.9%
- Percent of Residential Aboveground Pools with Pool Alarms: 2.8%
Thanks to AquaticNet.com for the information