Swimming Pool Blog
by Rob Cox, April 26, 2011
How to Replace Pool Motor Bearings
Pool pump motor bearing replacement. Most local electric motor repair shops will be glad to replace your motor bearings. Replacing your bearings as an alternative to replacing the motor, (or for some who replace the entire pump), can save a lot of money. Consider this:
1. Replace Entire Pump: $400-600
2. Replace Pump Motor: $200-400
3. Rebuild Pump Motor: $125-175
4. Do it Yourself: Priceless ($25-75)
DIY pool pump motor repair - with just a little time and technique, you can replace your own pool motor bearings! You only need simple handtools such as:
1. Nut drivers, Screwdriver, Hammer, Pliers
2. Bearing Puller and Tamping tool (or Pipe)
3. Spray Lubricant (WD-40)
10 Steps to Replacing Noisy Pump Motor Bearings
1. Shut off power at the breaker. Remove motor from pump housing. Remove wiring harness from rear of motor.
2. Remove pump diffuser. Hold shaft at rear of motor with pliers/wrench, and spin impeller off shaft, counter-clockwise.
3. Lubricate 4 through-bolts with WD-40. Gently loosen and remove through-bolts. Mark or make a scratch across end bell and body of motor to line up later.
4. Use a flathead screw driver and small hammer to loosen and pry off the front end bell (the end where the impeller attaches).
5. If entire rotor does not come out, pry off the rear end bell.
6. Clean the bearings and look closely at the bearing number. Look for 202, 203, 303 or 304. Buy these at a motor shop, or online pool motor parts.
8. Reassemble the rotor into the stator, secure the end bells in the marked or scored positions made earlier, and tighten down the through-bolts.
9. Reassemble the impeller, wear ring (if present), reverse threaded impeller screw (if present), diffuser and wiring to rear of motor.
10. Test motor wiring by turning motor on briefly. Reinstall the motor into the pump, fill with water, and enjoy the new silence!
your website, please contact the author by the email link at the top of the page. Thank you!
If you like this blog post, please link to us from your site, blog, facebook or twitter!