Swimming Pool Blog
- California Title 20 Pool & Spa Amendments Adopted
As of January 1, 2008, filtration pumps sold with a capacity of 1hp or higher must be capable of operating at two or more speeds. This would include the variable speed pumps made by Pentair, such as the Intelliflo, which will seek the lowest possible energy usage.
Monday, December 29, 2008 5:59 PM
- Swimming Pool Caulking and Expansion Joints
One of the strongest forces of nature is ice. Basically, nothing can stop it. When water freezes, it will expand. With great force. Ice can break steel, concrete, ock and just about anything else that gets in it’s way. So, if you have a slab of concrete and water gets under it, freezes and turns into ice, that slab will rise.Friday, December 26, 2008 1:14 PM
- Frozen Swimming Pool - What to do with a Frozen Pool
Frozen swimming pools! Old man winter has set many pools a-frozen! What to do ( and what not to do ) when your pool freezes slightly, and when it freezes solid! We cover all pools, from in ground to above ground, sunbelt to snowbelt. Some tips on how to deal with a frozen pool, and when to just leave it alone!
Monday, December 22, 2008 1:12 PM
- Is your pool pump electric bill out of control?
You can save on your electric bill by using a smaller pool pump motor and operating it less. Many regional or state agencies are offering incentives to pool owners to help them convert to pool pumps that consume less energy.
Friday, December 19, 2008 4:01 PM
- CPSC clarifies main drain enforcement priorities
The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act, was signed into law on December 19, 2007. CPSC has an obligation to carry out the will of Congress and to enforce the Pool & Spa Safety Act as written. This message today seeks to clarify our enforcement priorities.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:42 PM
- How Safe is your Neighbor's Pool?A grieving mother has told how her 3-year-old daughter's body was found in her neighbour's pool. Vimbai Machakaire was playing in her West Auckland garden with her brothers and sisters on Thursday when her mother Emily noticed she was missing about 6.30pm.
Monday, December 15, 2008 4:18 PM
- Frozen Pool Test Kit Reagents?
“How long is the shelf life on my test reagents” is one of the most common questions we hear. There really is no definite answer to that question. Some test kit reagents have an unlimited shelf life. Other reagents need to be discarded after a certain amount of time.
Friday, December 12, 2008 2:00 PM
- Commercial Pool Main Drains - Time is running out!
If your public or commercial pool or spa is open year round, you have just days left to comply. The VGB act requires all pools to have dual main drains with special approved drain covers. This can be costly if you have single main drains currently, to convert to dual can cost $1,200 or more per drain, and require draining the pool. We have listed some workarounds below, however, Check with your local health department to be sure!Saturday, December 06, 2008 3:43 PM
- Free Solar Pool Heat?
Voters in Florida have passed Constitutional Amendment 3 on November 4th, creating a property tax exemption for renewable-energy home improvements. This does not include solar pool heaters, unfortunately. It does include, however, solar hot water systems for the house and photovoltaic systems used around the home.Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:31 PM
- How's Your Filter? The Trio - Part IIISo, what is Sanitation of pool water? According to Wikipedia swimming pool sanitation refers to both visual clarity and levels of microflora, such as bacteria and viruses in swimming pools. The goal of sanitation is to prevent the spread of diseases and pathogens between users. Unsanitized water may also support the growth of algae which will present as a greenish tinge initially, then if left unchecked may completely inhabit the pool water displaying a solid green murky appearance.
Friday, October 31, 2008 11:43 AM
- Winterize your pool with the Mighty Vac!
A lot of you have asked for help with blowing your own pool plumbing lines. In our winter guide, we give an extensive written explanation, but nothing beats a good ol’ video presentation to help crystallize methods in your mind. In this video, we re-visit Joe Coxes pool, where we shot a pool opening video. An in ground vinyl liner pool, Joe’s pool was great for demonstrating how easy it is to blow out your plumbing lines with a Mighty Vac.Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:05 PM