Swimming Pool Blog
- Green Pool Lighting ~ Watts Happening
Now, what I really want to talk about is using LED bulbs in your swimming pool. LED bulbs use less wattage, usually under 10 watts. That's a lot less than a 500 watt bulb! LED pool bulbs also last nearly forever! A light emitting diode won't burn out like the tungsten filament in a regular bulb. LED bulbs are also much brighter! Lower wattage means fewer amps required to operate your lighting around the pool. This means less energy consumption and less dollars flying out of your pocket.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:23 PM
- POOL SAFETY: Footprints on the Web
Who are the major players in swimming pool safety on the internet? Which websites create the most influence, drive the most support for education and legislation for the safe use of swimming pools? Swimming pools can be dangerous, especially to small children. In an average year, over 300 young children drown in swimming pools and spas, and over 2000 emergency room visits occur for near drownings.
Monday, December 21, 2009 4:29 AM
- The wonders of swimming pool engineering
Pool design has come a long way over the years. With advancements in technology and endless possibilities in modern engineering, swimming pools have become marvels of modern day design. No longer is a pool just a hole in the ground, with cinder block or poured wall construction. Yes, pools have gotten rather fancy.
Friday, December 18, 2009 4:40 PM
- CPR in a Swimming Pool Environment
There is no place that the skill and training of lifesaving tactics come into play more than around a swimming pool. Accidents happen all the time. Drowning, heart attacks and injuries happen every day around pools and you should be ready and trained if you own a pool, or spend more than a few hours a week around a swimming pool. Here is a guide for performing CPR, and a few other rescue tips.
Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:47 PM
- Enzymes…The Organic Eater
Enzymes are used as a biological agent to remove and neutralize contaminants in polluted water or soil in a process called bioremediation. Bioremediation can effectively degrade fossil fuels and fuel oils. Enzymes designed to bioremediate almost all fractions of crude or modified petroleum products were used in one of the worst oil spills ever recorder, The Valdez, owned and operated by Exxon.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:29 PM
- Now is the time to plan a pool renovation
Have you had a pool and it is starting to look dull in your back yard? Is you pool system more that 10 years old? Or have you just been thinking of upgrading to make pool care easier for you? If you said yes to any of these now is the best time to take action. In this article I will tell you way now is the time and give you an inside look into the pool industry.
Monday, December 07, 2009 9:36 AM
- Pool Noodles ~ Not Just for Fun anymore!
A rolled up towel or foam "pool noodle" can be used under a rear facing seat to assist in properly positioning the child seat at the required 45 degree angle. Why a noodle? Well, you can also use a tightly rolled towel, but towels compress over time, whereas the material in pool noodles does not. If you use a towel, check it occasionally to see that the angle has been maintained.
Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:41 PM
- Swimming Pool ReplasteringSo, when do you need to re-plaster? Many folks re-plaster the pool during renovation, about every 20 years or so. Some do it more often to keep a nicer finish, or to change colors. Don't let your pool guy tell you that you must replaster or your pool will fail. Bare spots and cracks are a concern and should be fixed. But the usual decision force is from an aesthetic viewpoint. Plaster just starts to look bad after a while.
Friday, November 27, 2009 9:44 AM
- Gas Pool Heaters & Potential Dangers
Gas fired swimming pool heaters allow the homeowner to enjoy their pool and spa at their desired water temperature without the limitations of solar or electric pool heaters. With advancements in technology a gas heater can be activated as easily as a push of a button on wireless remote. A heated pool can run longer into those colder months, for those who experience freeze, allowing you to enjoy your pool more months out of the year. But there is a dark side....
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:26 AM
- CPSC hearing on Unblockable Pool Drain DefinitionThe hearing was held to discuss the rewording of the term “unblockable drains” as defined by the CPSC. I feel I made a point that a lot of other people in the industry overlooked. That was that most Certified Pool Operators (CPOs) or hotel owners do not have the correct training or knowledge to understand the wording of the law or implement the products to comply.
Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:29 PM
- December Deals
Excuse the solicitation, but we wanted to make sure that our regular blog readers are aware of our Holiday Deals for 2009. Although not our biggest season of the year, the Holiday lift in "gifty" items is welcome every year. This year, to get ready, we identified biggest sellers of years past, and made sure we have in stock, all the best of pool items that are great to give and receive.
Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:57 PM