Swimming Pool Blog
May 2009 (8)
- Leaking Pool ~ How to find a pool leak
It's not uncommon for pool owners to notice that water seems to be leaking out of their pool after opening it for the year. But where is the leak coming from? Let's take a look and see how to find and repair swimming pool leaks.
Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:10 PM
- Backyard Pool Main Drain safety
Swimming pool main drain safety has been a big issue of discussion these days. Entrapment injuries and more common that you might think. It happens more than you think. So much in fact, in 2008 the Federal Government enacted the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act.
Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:53 AM
- Pool Leak Detection ~ Find and Fix your leaking swimming pool!A leak in your swimming pool can be difficult to find, especially if it not visible. Here are some hints to help locate a leak on your pool plumbing, your pool surfaces or your pool equipment. To help detect a leak you really need to use your detective skills. The water leaving your pool can be making its exit out of numerous connections and/or openings. There could be more than one leak.
Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:01 AM
- Environmentally Friendly Pool Sanitation Options
Swimming pools have come a long way over the years when it comes to sanitation. Back in Roman times, pools were heated, but they had to have the water changed a lot to keep them clean and clear. This was common practice until chlorine came along about 100 years ago, to kill bacteria and algae keeping them sanitized for use. Over the years people are leaning away from chlorine trying to have a more environmentally friendly pool.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:21 PM
- Springtime Swimming Pool Start Up Tips
Springtime, and it’s time to start up the swimming pool. If you invested in a good mesh safety cover, then it will be that much easier. Just brush off any debris with your tele pole and pool brush, disconnect the springs from the anchors and accordion fold the cover and store it. Screw the anchors down first before folding. You can clean the mesh cover as you fold it, with an air blower or a garden hose.
Monday, May 18, 2009 9:05 AM
- Minor Heater Repairs and Major HeadachesMany pool-owners hold their breath as they start up the pool heater for the first time, crossing their fingers awaiting the “whoosh” sound of the gas valve opening and the burner tray catching flame. Pool heaters can certainly be the most temperamental piece of pool equipment, and many minor pool heater repairs can become major pool heater headaches!
Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:43 AM
- Green Heat: Green Ways to Heat Your Pool and $ave Green
With a growing trend of eco-friendly products on the market, most people are trying to do their part to save our planet. A lot of these folks are trying cutting back on power consumption and the use of fossil fuels. What many swimming pool owners do not know that swimming pools can be green too (I am not talking about algae in the water).
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:41 PM
- Major Pool Heater Repair
Minor heater repairs can sometimes become somewhat complex. Diagnosing the problem can become its own problem lf and major repairs can become lengthy and involved. When working on any type of heater you are dealing with an appliance that involves electric, gas/oil, and water. These components are designed to remain separate and should remain so to avoid personal and/or property damage.
Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:35 PM
- Virginia Graeme Baker Act: Deadline Looms Near
With the swim season gearing up in the United States, more pools are finding out very late that they must comply with the new federal law. A lot of swimming pools are facing budget cuts in this economy and many are finding out that they do not have the money to make the upgrades to comply with the law.
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 5:11 PM
- Pool Safety: Diving Rules and Diving Board SafetyDiving boards are fun. And rarely dangerous. There must be over a million dives performed every year. High dives, cannonballs, belly flops; too many to keep track of! We can keep track of diving and diving board accidents, however. According to a USA Today report, 6500 children and teens have to visit hospital emergency rooms each year because of swimming pool diving injuries.
Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:38 AM