Swimming Pool Blog
- Green Heat: Green Ways to Heat Your Pool and $ave Green
With a growing trend of eco-friendly products on the market, most people are trying to do their part to save our planet. A lot of these folks are trying cutting back on power consumption and the use of fossil fuels. What many swimming pool owners do not know that swimming pools can be green too (I am not talking about algae in the water).
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:41 PM
- Major Pool Heater Repair
Minor heater repairs can sometimes become somewhat complex. Diagnosing the problem can become its own problem lf and major repairs can become lengthy and involved. When working on any type of heater you are dealing with an appliance that involves electric, gas/oil, and water. These components are designed to remain separate and should remain so to avoid personal and/or property damage.
Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:35 PM
- Virginia Graeme Baker Act: Deadline Looms Near
With the swim season gearing up in the United States, more pools are finding out very late that they must comply with the new federal law. A lot of swimming pools are facing budget cuts in this economy and many are finding out that they do not have the money to make the upgrades to comply with the law.
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 5:11 PM
- Pool Safety: Diving Rules and Diving Board SafetyDiving boards are fun. And rarely dangerous. There must be over a million dives performed every year. High dives, cannonballs, belly flops; too many to keep track of! We can keep track of diving and diving board accidents, however. According to a USA Today report, 6500 children and teens have to visit hospital emergency rooms each year because of swimming pool diving injuries.
Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:38 AM
- Chemical Safety: Chlorine bombs and Algaecide Detonators
Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:56 AM
- May is Pool & Spa Safety Month ~ Let's Get Safe!
May is Pool Safety Month. If you hang around POOLCENTER.com long enough, you know that we are very vocal on pool safety Issues. Here are some facts and tips for making your pool a safer place to be.
Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:00 PM
- Be a Conservative Pool Owner - save Money & Energy!
In honor of Earth Day 2009, here's a post on how you can save money on your money pit! Let's face it - pool's use energy and they can waste energy too! Here's four areas to look at ~ to try to keep your pool from draining...your wallet and heating up our planet! We look at solar pool heating, use of a solar blanket, energy efficient pumps and motors and ways that you can conserve water in your pool.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:09 AM
- Virginia Graeme Baker: Sending ripples across the pool industry
Virginia Graeme Baker (VGB) was lovingly known to her friends and family as Graeme (pronounced Graham). The granddaughter of former Secretary of State James Baker, Graeme went with her mother, Nancy, and four sisters to a family friend’s home for a graduation party on June 15, 2002. The focal point of the party was the swimming pool and hot tub.
Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:30 PM
- Swimming Pool pH and Total Alkalinity ~ Kissing Cousins!
Total Alkalinity and pH ~ close cousins I always say. Kissing Cousins. They are both measures of the relative acidity or basicity of your pool water. Keeping these cousins in line is important for bather skin and eye comfort, as well as for the care of your pool surfaces. Good levels also help keep your chlorine working most effectively. At higher levels, chlorine becomes very sluggish.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:23 PM
- Green Pool Lighting: Backyard Lightscaping
There’s nothing like a beautifully lit pool on a warm summer night. But as we now pay more attention to conservation and the economy, Why not save money and create a beautiful, colorful environment around the pool and pool area.
Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:36 PM
- Swimming Pool Covers: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
There are many types of pool covers on the market and each has a different purpose for your pool. There are year round and seasonal covers as well as covers that help heat the pool and stop evaporation. Some are safer than others. I always recommend the safety covers because of their strength - most can hold the weight of a car, so you never have to worry about kids being around them.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:17 PM